Hatching!

I can hear chickies peeping from the incubator. I just put another tub of water in to increase the humidity. Upon lifting the lid Kael and I saw that a second egg had started to break – this time it is an Araucana. Yay!

I was starting to get concerned that nothing had really happened with our 9am egg, so I’ve just been on the web finding out how long it takes for chickies to break free of their shell once they start pipping it. Twenty-four hours plus! So no need to panic, thankfully.

I also found out that most people don’t help chickies out of the egg, but if they do, they won’t help until it’s been 48 hours. Hopefully that won’t be an issue.

Xav still likes the idea of raising two or three chickies himself, so we’d better get to work on that brooder box for inside.

On another note, I’ve done the second coat on the brooder. Looking good. However I’ve decided that I won’t be painting any other designs on it today. Instead I’ll be doing things like a final clean out of the brooder, disinfecting feed and water containers and mowing the lawn! Oh, and making lunch for the starving hoarde 🙂

Okay, the Araucana chickie has hatched! From it’s colour I’m guessing it’s one of the wheatens. It’s so tiny!

Fertilised Eggs – Day Twenty-One

The incubator day counter ticked over to day 21 at about 9pm tonight. Nothing’s happening yet… Everybody tells me they should hatch fine. Me, I’m not so sure. If there’s no sign of hatching in the morning I’ll be disappointed, even though I’ve been telling myself it will be a terrible failure and they won’t hatch coz I don’t want to get my hopes up.

Went to the Benalla craft/farmers market today and spoke to Tony the chook man. He had a couple of wheaten Faverolle girls with cute little ear muffs and I was sorely tempted. But with the imminent arrival of a bunch of chickies I’ve nowhere to quarantine them. Oh well, maybe next time. I told Tony that when my next hen goes broody I’ll get some Plymouth Rock eggs off him, hopefully he’ll have some by then.

Started painting the brooder this arvo – the first coat is done. I’ll do the second coat in the morning tomorrow, and if I’ve got time I’ll see if I can paint something intresting on it too. Maybe a mother hen and some chickies. Right now I’m trying to think of a cool name to give it but at the moment all I can think of is “The Chickiebator” or “The Broody Hen”.

Just starting the first coat

Just starting the first coat

Xav doing his bit

Xav doing his bit

While I was painting Kathy phoned to say that two eggs had hatched! An Araucana and one of her bitzers! Whoohoo!! Meanwhile nothing was happening in the incubator. And still nothing was happening at 5:30am when I staggered out of bed to help Xav. However, at 9am this morning, one of the Light Sussex eggs has started to crack! Still, as the saying goes, ‘don’t count your chickens before they hatch.’